Tuesday, 4 September 2012

DIY Coloured Bobby Pins - A Simple Tutorial

A few days ago I read Fashion Rocks My Socks blogpost on the upcoming "Bobby-Pin Trend" and decided I wanted to get myself a piece of the action!

Rather than fork out a couple of quid for a few pins, I decided to take matters into my own hands and DIY it with some plain old black bobby-pins and some nail varnish!

What I did is pretty self-explanatory I guess, but I thought I'd do a quick blog post to share with you!

My Bobby-pins were cheap as chips from the 99p store.

I first fastened the clips around a few pieces of paper (or you could use card) to secure them for painting. 
Then I placed the paper on a scrap surface (I used an old chopping board I use for DIY)


Next I took my polish of choice and applied one thin coat along the length of the pin, and slightly around the curved end.
(Several thin coats works better than one thick as it minimises spillage onto the card/paper preventing them from sticking together)

 I decided to use MUA All Nude, and Gosh Holographic Hero - as you can see it depends on the polish you use as to how much coverage you will get.

Simply keep building up with thin coats until you reach full opaqueness.


Leave to dry, then gently remove from the card/paper. As you can see the underside tip will be black (or whatever colour your pins originally were)

You can choose to leave your tips or you can simply add a tiny pop of polish on the end like I did.


Leave overnight to ensure they are completely dry then pop them in your hair!
MUA - All Nude

The possibilities are endless! I'll certainly be DIYing some more. I see some bright colours coming my way! You could always experiment and go for a striped design!
Do let me know if you enjoyed this tutorial and if you decide to give it a try!

Charlotte
xx

14 comments:

  1. Cool idea! Might have to try this!
    Georgia X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely do, it's so simple and takes no time at all! I'll be making plenty more as I'll never use 350 plain black ones :p xx

      Delete
  2. Aww, I love this idea. I usedto have such a colourful collection of bobby pins when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha my Mum used to put alsorts in my hair when I was a kid - multicoloured clips and huge bows and ribbons ;p xx

      Delete
  3. This is such a "can't believe I haven't already done this" sort of idea! Going to do glittery ones I think.
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is such a simple thing. It doesn't even need a tutorial! Deffo will be doing some glittery ones myself too! Fab for Xmas time too! :D xx

      Delete
  4. I used to this all the time, totes giving it another go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it! I'll be making plenty more :) xx

      Delete
  5. such a neat idea, i would never have thought of this! I will definitely be trying it, thanks for posting hun :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww no problem at all. It's good to know others find it useful! :) xx

      Delete
  6. This is such a cute idea, I never would have thought of it myself! Well done to you! Haha. I also want the holographic nail polish reeeeeally badly. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks. Oooh you should, it's so pretty! It still looked perfect after a week on my fake nails so I was impressed! Xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...