Saturday, 10 August 2013

John Lewis BBQ Challenge - Chicken, Chorizo & Halloumi Skewers

I was recently contacted by John Lewis asking if I would like to take part in their John Lewis BBQ challenge.
The challenge I was set, was to create a typically British BBQ dish...now whilst this recipe isn't British in origination I feel it definitely emulates the British attitude towards a BBQ.
BBQ's for many Brits are a time to relax and celebrate with family and friends. Which is why for me I feel all the cooking should be minimal fuss with minimal preparation. Therefore this recipe is exactly that!

I love chicken, I love chorizo, and I love halloumi; I decided the best way to incorporate all 3 would be by creating a kebab skewer...a BBQ is all about getting stuck in with your hands, who needs a knife and fork!

What you need...


Skewers (wooden or metal)
Chicken breast
Halloumi cheese
Chorizo ring (cooked)


The first thing you need to do is slice the chorizo (be sure to remove the casing) into 1cm thick slices. You can then use this as a guide for how big to slice your halloumi cheese. 
I was lazy and bought chicken that was already diced (mainly because it was cheaper), however if you are using chicken breasts you would again, chop your chicken into a similar size to the cheese and chorizo. 
(*top tip* - for extra flavour, drizzle a little garlic infused oil over the diced chicken). 


Once all your ingredient have been chopped and sliced you can get to work on assembling your skewers. I went for a chicken-chorizo-halloumi alternation. Take care to not stab your fingers when threading onto the skewer and load as much or as little as you prefer onto the skewers. 
 (*top tip* - to prevent wooden skewers from burning/scorching, soak in a bowl of water overnight before assembling your kebabs)


Once assembled, it's simply a case of popping your skewers onto a BBQ (they also taste equally as amazing if cooked on a griddle pan - no extra oil is needed if you've marinated your chicken in garlic oil as this and the oils released from the chorizo prevent sticking). 
Be sure to frequently turn your skewers throughout cooking to ensure the chicken is fully cooked. 


Once cooked serve as you wish. I opted for a yummy side salad with a range of dips. 

If you want to incorporate some of your 5 a day you can choose to add onions or peppers...the kebabs would be equally as tasty with or without. 


We enjoyed lots of other yummy food but the skewers were the biggest hit! 
We opted to go for a blue and green theme with our picnic-ware, the majority of which we purchased from John Lewis (the butterflies were from elsewhere sadly).


And also, like any other fashion loving blogger, a BBQ is always the perfect opportunity to wear a pretty dress and some heels! Personally I think floaty maxi's are perfect for a BBQ, pretty whilst being functional (at hiding those food babies). This high-low maxi style dress has to be my favourite dress for a sunny day, especially due to the pretty butterfly print. I opted to wear it with my bargain £25 (!) KG shoes. I managed to snag them before they went out of stock and thought they were the perfect tribute to my kitty who recently got knocked down as they too like her are called Bella.

What is your favourite meal to cook on the BBQ?
Would these kebabs be something you'd like to try?

Charlotte
xx

Disclaimer - John Lewis provided gift vouchers and contributed to the cost of ingredients.

24 comments:

  1. Pretty dress and those shoes are stunning, you def are a 'heels' girl Charlotte :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I know aren't they just so pretty!
      Definitely a heels girl - always have been! When I was at school my Mum used to always have to buy me school shoes with a bit of a heel as flat shoes made me trip over! Bit strange haha. Xx

      Delete
  2. Ohhh this looks so yummy!!! LOVE Halloumi.

    Just found your blog through FBL Bloggers, love it, followed!

    Stevie | Stevie Hearts Makeup
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Halloumi really is yummy isn't it!
      Thanks for following :) xx

      Delete
  3. mmmm these look lovely, will make these next time I have a bbq.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, you definitely must! I can't wait to have them again! xx

      Delete
  4. These kebabs look amazing, I would have added some pepper for a bit of crunch, yum!
    Lovely dress. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they would be fab with peppers too!
      Aww thank you :) x

      Delete
  5. Oh I might have to give this a go! Though may have to swap the chorizo for something else! They do look yummy though! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you should! Ooh, hope you find something equally as yummy to replace the chorizo. X

      Delete
  6. I'm equally as impressed with the heels as with the skewers, both look gorgeous!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Skewers look lovely - as does the outfit! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks absolutely yummy - though I zoned in on the shoes more than anything - nice KG's and very nice price too!! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were, I can't wait to have them again!
      Beautiful shoes can't help but be distracting. X

      Delete
  9. The kebabs look absolutely delicious. Hadn't thought of halloumi on the BBQ before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh they really are, BBQ'd halloumi is gorgeous, even on its own haha. X

      Delete
  10. I would never have thought of putting chicken, chorizo and halloumi together! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should try it, such a yummy combination x

      Delete
  11. OH MY GOD I am literally crying with hunger and reading this has just ruined my entire life because I can't access any chorizo right now. They look amazing! Thanks for checking out my blog via the FBL facebook page. I love yours - followed :)

    Elizabeth
    www.iamnotblonde.net

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha chorizo really is yum, especially when it goes all crispy mmmm.
    Thanks for following! Xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...